16 August 2012

Four Women I Love: Victoria Beckham, Maya Banks, ONJ & Lisa Kleypas


Victoria Beckham

Yes, you read that right.  Anyone who knows me knows I am a big supporter of Girl Power, so who better to have a girl crush on than one of the women who actually put the phrase on the map?  I can’t tell you how hard I laughed when I saw her in Spice World, wearing a camouflage designer dress and calmly walking past all the military obstacles while the other girls were sweating them out.  And come on!...she’s married to one of the most gorgeous men in the world!  While living in France I picked up her autobiography and read it and really liked learning about her story.  I guess because I also have a self-deprecating sense of humor I get a lot of what she says, while most people find fault with everything that comes out of her mouth.  She has a flare of fashion I will never have, and a body that can wear anything.  Currently she’s on the cover of Glamour magazine looking, I must say, FABULOUS!

Maya Banks

For those of you who don’t know, Maya Banks is the reason I have an up and coming writing career.  Though I’d been writing stories forever, back in 2004 I was living in Paris (France) and wrote a book titled “Black Leather Pants”.  After coming back to the states, the story just sat for a few years lacking something until I read an erotica novel titled “Colters’ Woman” by Maya Banks.  I had never read anything like it before and I knew, right then and there, that’s what “Black Leather Pants” needed to be…an erotica novel.  Maya Banks has the type of career I strive to achieve one day.  In 2010 I was able to meet her at a luncheon we were both signing books at and I was awe struck!  The other day I read her Harlequin Desire book “Wanted by Her Lost Love” in one night, I couldn’t put it down!  Really, I was so engrossed I read it in one sitting…now that’s the mark of a truly talented author.

Olivia Newton-John

Yes, this is a bit of departure from the other two but I had to put ONJ in this list because I’ve practically worshiped her since I saw Grease back in the 70’s.  I think I was the only girl in my high school singing songs from her Physical album while everyone else was singing Duran Duran and Poison.  Over the years my love of her music grew and I think she’d be the only celebrity that, if I met her in person, I think I would faint.  I got to see her twice in concert and if I could, I’d go see her all the time.  I can’t hardly believe she’s only a few years younger than my mother and I must admit, I’m having a hard time with the plastic surgery she’s gotten…but to each their own, right?  I’d love for her to release another album but not sure if that’s the direction she’s heading in her life.  In any case, ONJ will always be my number one favorite singers of all time.


Lisa Kleypas


If Lisa Kleypas needed someone to walk her dogs and pick up their poop, I would volunteer and be so frickin’ happy doing it.  Why?  Because it’s Lisa Kleypas!  I love her for different reasons than I love Maya Banks, but for the same reason as they are both inspirations to me and my career.  When you pick up a Lisa Kleypas novel, you know exactly what you’re going to get: fantastic writing, an interesting plot, memorable characters and strong heroines.  In this day and age when books are so expensive, I have no problem shelling out eight dollars on one of her books because I know I am going to love it.  In my personal bookshelf collection I have just about all of her novels…as well as a few books on CD.  Whenever someone asks me advice on writing, I always bring up Lisa Kleypas novels, because they are a great study in the perfection of writing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment