19 November 2012

Hump Day Hook...Thanksgiving



This year I have much to be thankful for.  My boyfriend and I bought a house, and it’s the first time that I’ve felt stable, that growing older won’t be so bad now that I can provide a home for my son.

I have a healthy little boy, my boyfriend (truthfully, he’s all but my husband…feels odd calling him boyfriend when we’ve been together almost 13 years) has a good job, and I have a wonderful writing career.  Plus, I have the love of family and friends around me.  What more can a person ask for?

This Hump Day Hook I wanted to do something Thanksgiving themed, but alas, I haven’t written anything with this holiday, so what I had to make due with a section from a series in progress I hope to come out in 2013.  Taken from my book Otherworldly, the scene sets up Charlotte trying to cook a chicken, but some of the fat leaks over the side and starts burning.  The fire alarm goes off and think of it as if Majel Barrett-Rodenberry decided to do fire prevention. 

(On a side note, this situation actually happened to my friend, Lark!  When she told me the story, I was laughing so hard my sides hurt!  I told her I was going to use this in a story and she just rolled her eyes.)

So, from Otherworldly, here is my paragraph:


“FIRE!  FIRE!  FIRE!” the alarm kept saying in a very loud, very annoying tone.
            “Shut up!” she cried and grabbed a dishtowel to start fanning the smoke away from the detector.  She spotted a reset button and hurried to find a broom.  Thankfully, the smoke was starting to dissipate.  She found an ordinary broom in the pantry and grabbed it, trying to line up the reset button with the handle, but the handle was too wide and couldn’t fit in the small button slot.
            In the meantime, the detector kept yelling “FIRE” at her and Charlotte was contemplating smashing 

the damn thing with the broom when the front door opened.
**************************************************************

Please visit the other Hump Day Hook paragraphs at:  http://kerriannecoombes.wordpress.com/


ALSO: I'm going to be participating in the Black Friday Blog Hop starting...well, I'm sure you can figure it out.  LOL!  I'll be giving away a free PDF ebook, winner's choice.  December 5th I'll be guest blogging at Cassandra Carr; December 7th I'll be participating in the Zombie Blog Hop (that should be interesting!!); December 14th I'll be participating in the Holiday Gift of Love blog hop and I will have a large Christmas give-a-way to one lucky winner; and finally, on my birthday of December 21st, the world will end...but in case that doesn't happen, then I'll be blogging at When One is Not Enough!  Thanks so much for visiting!
 

5 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I liked the discription.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so would have knocked that alarm down with the broom! Really put me there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those things drive me insane! LOL Kerrianne Coombes

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter recently caught her kitchen on fire. Thankfully she wasn't hurt but had to pay damages to her apartment. As annoying as those things are, very important in a true emergency! Great description here! Set the tone of annoyance perfectly! Wonder who's at the door!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do some online shopping, for electronics and books and such.
    tessa dot bamberg at kolumbus dot fi

    ReplyDelete