17 July 2019

The Evernighties Weekly Blog Challenge - Week 29

My Favorite Holiday Memory

When we become parents, holidays really become about making the children happy. Making it memorable for them, whether it's fireworks at 4th of July or presents from Santa. It's easy to say these are my favorite holiday memories, but that might be a cheat, so I'll put my own personal one.

Back when I was in my early twenties (the 90s), I was heavily into Star Trek. Mainly from watching Star Trek Voyager, but it brought me and my mom even closer because she loved Star Trek Next Generation. One year there was this huge convention going to be held in December in Secaucas, New Jersey, and I really wanted to take my mom. I wanted to give her so much for all she'd done for me, but I had no idea how I was going to pay for it.

And then, unexpectedly, I get this letter in the mail from my dad. I'd had an estranged relationship with him, and we'd recently began to mend fences. He sent me a check for two thousand dollars. It was unexpected and it blew my mind. The money wasn't about buying my affections. It was a Christmas gift, making up for years he never got me anything. Our relationship continued to grow stronger as I grew up from the hard-headed teenager into a rational adult and came to understand him clinging to old-fashioned ways and beliefs.

But back to the money...I was able to buy my mom not only front row seats to see her favorite actors on stage, but a great dinner and a nice hotel room. We had a wonderful time together and I think it was one of the more memorable Christmases I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment