27 February 2020

The Evernighties Blog Challenge - Week 9


Diet before summer? How seriously?

Is this like when people make a New Year's resolution?

Maybe when I was in my twenties I'd consider a diet before summer. After all, it was far more easier to lose weight back then. Since I'm on the far side of forty, the weight seems to have adopted me, vowing never to leave again.

The truth is, I don't believe in diets. Diets work on immediate gratification of controlling what goes in the mouth, but as soon as the motivate is gone, so is the will power to restrict calories. True, there are some altruistic people out there who thrive on salads and water. Or people whose livelihood depends on how many bones are sticking out. (models, movie stars, etc) I have no doubt those people either 1) have great discipline to stick to a diet and/or 2) have enough money to have coaches to keep them on track.

But I am not any of those people.

I have a real life, where I work on my feet for 8-10 hours a day. I have a teenager who loves French fries. I have a husband who, despite being diabetic, loves sweets. I am constantly on the go, so when I get the few moments to sit down I have no desire to hit a gym. The most I do is try to watch what I eat, and avoid too many empty caloric choices.

Diets are a fad, and there are many fads out there that cost money. The real thing that people need is learning HOW to eat. For instance, Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. Yes, technically, it might be a diet, but it's also teaching people nutrition, and that's way more important than a fad diet that disappears in the blink of an eye. (And let me say that I'm not endorsing either of those programs, I was using them as an example)


No comments:

Post a Comment