10 April 2019

Wednesday Writer's Block Exercise - Week 14

Got Writer’s Block?

Yeah, it happens to the best of us.  Life gets in the way and your brain is taken in another direction and before you know it, it’s been days or weeks since you last looked at that book you’re trying to write.  You’ve forgotten little details.  What eye color did you give your hero?  What town was your heroine born in?  Perhaps you need to jumpstart your creative mojo, and that's what this series is designed for. Not to explain writer's block, but to help you move in a different direction.


I'm currently writing a sci-fi space adventure, so it was easy for me to take my hero and transport him into a new environment. Since I've split the two POVs of my hero/heroine, I've had to really think outside the box. An incident at work made me mad at my boss, so I wrote up a fight scene with my hero and used my boss's name as the guy who got pummeled.

Talk about relieving some stress. LOL!

It's also left me staring at nothing as I tried to figure out what a colony on Mars will be like in a hundred years. Will it be run by the upper echelon of society...those who can afford to go? Or will it be a penal colony? I've had a lot of fun figuring this out, as well as taking my hero out of his comfort zone.




#14 Travel

A change of scenery can do wonders. Take your hero somewhere new.


>List three reasons your hero might need to leave town right now.


> Brainstorm four setting that would be challenging for your hero to navigate.


> If your hero could call home, who would she call? What would she say?

>In the past, did your hero travel someplace particularly important to him? Is there a reason to go back now?



When your hero hits the road, her normal routines don't apply. She's interacting with new environments and new characters. She's literally out of her comfort zone, and that's almost always a good thing.

A new setting also give you the chance to change the texture of your world, from weather to language to wardrobe. Take your Surfer to Australia. Take your Wookie to Dagobah.

A new location should bring new challenges. Your hero is the same character, but without her usual routines.




Happy Writing!



***John August designed these cards to help writers fix plot holes, spice up stock characters and
rethink your themes.  They, of course, do not guarantee you’ll get published or that you’ll become the next J.K. Rowling, and of course they are only a tool to help you think outside the box. I make no monetary gain with them nor do I expect anything in return.  I do not own the contents in these cards. If you're interested in them, here's the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Writer-Emergency-Pack/dp/B00R6ZLIOY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1502046610&sr=8-2&keywords=john+august 


No comments:

Post a Comment