29 August 2019

The Evernighties Weekly Blog Challenge - Week 35

My Irrational Fears

I think as I've gotten older I've obtained a few irrational fears that may or may not seem overreacting.

Two specifically come to mind.

I have paralyzing acrophobia. The kind where every muscle in your body freezes and you can't move, even though your brain is screaming at you to do something. It's not just a disliking of the Ferris Wheel, or a rollercoaster. It's more like climbing an ordinary hill, and then realizing you can't climb down. Or can't look when you cross over a bridge. It's when your heart beats so fast that it feels like it'll burst and you can't breathe. You can't do anything except cry because you're frozen.

A lot of people don't like heights, but the true acrophobic person's fear is more intense and a whole lot more irrational.

The second fear is a product of our time.

I have an irrational fear that a shooter will happen in my son's school. I even had to go on anxiety medicine last year after Parkland. I couldn't sleep, my stomach was in knots, and I didn't want to let him go to school. The medicine helped but I stopped after a while and now that school's started back up, it's always in the back of my head. What if.... What if....

There's no common phobia name for this. At least, not yet.

And that truly terrifies me, that this could become so common it does get a phobia name.

No comments:

Post a Comment