07 May 2020

The Evernighties Weekly Blog Challenge - Week 19

Your characters: Do Blondes really have more fun?

The word "blond" is a bit of a pain in the ass for me because it's one of those rare English words that has to be defined as masculine and feminine. And I can NEVER remember which is which. This is the official definition:

"The word originally came into English from Old French, where it has masculine and feminine forms. As an English noun, it kept those two forms; thus, a blond is a fair-haired male, and a blonde is a fair-haired female."

Back when I was a young starry-eyed teenager, I was in love with Luke Skywalker...who was a blond. So I thought I liked fair-haired, blue eyed men. My tastes changed as I grew older, especially once I got into my 40s. I now like the Silver Foxes and those attractions are reflected into my characters. Rarely do I write blond/blonde characters, and when I do, I tend to use it as an analogy for "innocent" people (male or females). I recently had a story accepted by Evernight for publication about an angel, and yes, I made her blonde. She may be an atypical angel, but still, blonde hair gives that illusion.

Usually, I'm writing about dark hair men with silver in their hair, and not quite a typical female. I like character flaws, whether or not that includes freckles, scars, or any other type of imperfection. I don't like cookie cutters in my stories. I'm very conscious about how the character looks that reflects in the arc that I give them. 

So I would say no...blondes don't really have more fun. At least, not in my worlds.  

No comments:

Post a Comment