20 June 2013

Book Review – Zombies Don’t Make Good Pets

Zombies Don’t Make Good Pets

by Ashlynn Monroe


I received this novella by Ms. Monroe herself when I won a contest.  I’d never read any of her books and while many of her titles caught my attention, this one looked too good to pass up.  And I’m so glad I didn’t because this story rocked!

As with any novella, they are short and to the point so everything that has to be conveyed is done very fast.  We start out in the middle of a Zombie attack and Vet Dr. Coralee Bradley is trying to determine how she’s going to survive.  The military had already come through and they got their asses whipped. 

In comes sexy Sergeant Jordan Parks, looking for some bandages when he’s hurt fighting.  (He’s not bitten, thank goodness!)  But the horde has overrun his who unit and now it’s just Cora and him.  Sparks fly, of course, and when the Zombies turn to the vet building, they have to run to a large storage closet to hide.  Thinking they’re going to die, Cora and Jordan let lust run its course.

I won’t tell you how it ends but it’s a great set up for another book…thank goodness!  I loved this short little story but I would have been disappointed if Ms. Monroe would have stopped there.  Luckily, she’s informed me that another book is coming out later this year.

A lot of times in novellas, the characters aren’t fully fleshed out and the writing is choppy.  Not so here.  Even though it was short, and even though I wished it had gone further, this story sets up nicely as a prequel (as I’m thinking of it now).  I’m a fan of The Walking Dead and it brought to mind that story line, except with very hot sex scenes.  If you’re a fan of Zombies, or just a fan of something different, then this is the one for you!

**Ashlynn Monroe can be found here: http://ashlynnmonroe.com/

1 comment: