31 December 2010

New Year's Eve

Another year is on our doorstep. Out goes 2010 and in comes the promise of something new, something better. New Year’s Eve builds our hope that the coming year will be different. That we’ll be different. Some will vow to finally lose weight. Some will vow to quit smoking, work harder, be a better person or spend more time with the kids. Resolutions are a tradition and yet breaking them is also a tradition. Some of us even make bets on when they’ll be broken.


2010 was a hard year for me. It was a trying year, yet one where I learned a lot. I started off the year living in Baton Rouge, Louisiana because we (Brian and I ) had made the decision to try to live in a smaller environment, to pay down our credit card debt and be closer to family. Brian and I had great jobs, had a new apartment, and life was coming under control.


But through the year I continually learned that though I may be surrounded in a different environment, if I didn’t love where I was then what was the point? Unhappy is unhappy. There were many great things about Louisiana but my heart was back home in Los Angeles. So when Brian got offered a position “back home”, we talked it over extensively and decided we wanted to go back to where we were happiest. And so the last months of 2010 were filled with packing, moving, and driving back to California.


I have decided against making a New Year Resolution. Yes, I could vow to lose the extra 30 pounds I’ve been holding onto since my son was born. But I already know I have to eat right and start exercising. No, what inspires me now is, of course, my writing. I have two novels with Loose Id coming out in 2011 and I’m currently half way through one for Siren Bookstrand. I have ideas and plans for many more and I’m only limited by how fast I can or cannot type.


So to all...Happy New Year, the birth of 2011. I raise my glass and toast to the promise of a new beginning. Happy writing. Happy reading.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Beth. Loved the post. I have to admit that I always make resolutions. Some I keep-some I don't. Hope that 2011 brings you much happiness. Good luck with your writing. And happy New Year's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice posting today. I don't make many resolutions because I never do them. I just want to live my life on my own terms and hope I don't hurt others. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete