06 January 2019

Blast from the Past...Spotlighting Katherine Wyvern's "Spellbreakers"


BLURB

Escarra, a small kingdom that has lost its old magical power, is threatened by the brutal slaver empire of Hassia. Only the long-lost hero Kjetil Alversen Hawkeneye can save Escarra now, but for a hundred years he has been sleeping an enchanted sleep in the ice palace of the Witch Queen of Dalarna. He alone can save them, but he can only be awakened by the love of a pure heart.

When Princess Leal and her faithful friend Daria set out to find him and bring him back to Escarra, they embark on an epic journey across five kingdoms. They face elvers and goblins, giants, dragons and black unicorns, but when they both fall in love with Ljung, the mysterious, alluring hunter who shares the end of their trip, his love could save the quest or doom it. Will his prowess and wisdom help Princess Leal, or will she lose her pure heart—and Daria’s love—to his irresistible appeal?

Be Warned: f/f sex, sex toys, fisting, bondage, flogging, rimming, menage sex


Q & A 

1.       Did you plot this book out or write wherever an idea took you?

I never plot. I am a complete pantser. The one time I did plot a book, it sort of extinguished the light and life of it, so I never tried again. I like to dive into a story in a sort of “stream of consciousness” way, letting scenes flow, branch, and blossom any way they want. Eventually I get to figure out how they connect and what the plot actually looks like! This book however had a bit of a storyline already because it’s based on a story I began to write in my teens. It changed VERY much since then, but for once I had some idea of where I was going with it. It was still FULL of surprises!


2.       Did you hide any secrets or Easter Eggs?

Not in this book! I have become fond of Easter Eggs only recently! 😊


3.       Since the publication, what would you say has improved in your writing?

After writing Spellbreakers I had a four years writer’s block, and when I came back from that it was with a handful of stories very different from anything I had written previously. I always wrote somewhat lyrical, lushly poetical stories, but lately I have gone much further into exploring how far you can use the Romance genre to convey a deeper message about serious topics, like abuse, (in)tolerance and gender identity. I think this makes my most recent work considerably more interesting.


4.       Did you leave out anything in this book that you wished you hadn’t?

Not really, but it was always intended to have a sequel, which directly carried on with the story and gave more space to my favourite secondary character in the novel (Lord Dionis, the Master of Enchantments of the Escarran court… the last wizard of a dead magical order, who must somehow keep up the fiction that Escarra still possesses powerful magic, to ward off their arch enemy, Hassia). However, this sequel didn’t come. Real life got into the way, and by the time I got to writing again Lord Dionis had somewhat faded away (he might come back).

Instead Spellbreakers has now a spin-off, In the Eye of the Wind, which also gives a glimpse in the future of some of Spellbreakers’  characters, but can be read as a standalone, because it’s a completely different story-line. It was a lot of fun to expand that universe however, both in time and space!


5.       Do you believe a book cover plays an important role in the selling process?

Yes, without a doubt. I see a very direct correlation between the quality of the cover on each of my books and their success, but of course it might also depend on the fact that I am more comfortable plastering a book all over my social media if the cover looks attractive, high quality and professional. Unfortunately some Romance covers are less good than others. We are very very lucky to have Jay Aheer at Evernight now.


6.       Any advice you would like to give to your younger self?

It would probably be a waste of time, since I am notoriously allergic to well-meaning advice, especially when it comes unrequested. But I think I would pass on to my younger self one of my very favourite quotes:  “Write what disturbs you, what you fear, what you have not been willing to speak about. Be willing to be split open.” Natalie Goldberg


Exclusive Sneak Peek

…He kneeled between her legs and rubbed her thighs with his palms, slowly, dreamily; then he plunged his face in her sex, breathing the scent of it, lapping its dampness greedily, almost roughly. She whimpered in painful pleasure, but she wanted him already. She realized now that she had wanted him since that first night, in the spell-world under the ice. She tugged at his shoulders until he crawled up along her body and came to kiss her mouth with the same fire with which he had licked her sex. His long hair fell all round her face, pale and smooth, light as a moth wing. She closed her legs around his waist, locking their bodies together while the tip of his member found its way into her longing flesh. He filled her up entirely, painfully, beautifully. Every thrust brought a moan to her lips as pleasure and ache mingled. Then her flesh eased around his length, and it was just pleasure. She rocked into his rhythm, meeting every thrust.

****
They say one never forgets how to ride a horse, but that is a lie. In a very few years, one can lose all feel for the delicate interconnected balance holding a rider and his mount together. 
But one could never forget how to ride a sweet, spirited woman. It’s homecoming. It’s where I belonged all along. All my life I have been coming here, to this, to these thighs, to these lips.
He climaxed inside her with a low rough moaning growl. He almost wept with the bliss of it, but by a miracle of will and luck he managed not to spill his seed. 
Not yet. No, not yet. The night is young. Our first and last night together, I fear. Would that I could bring her home with me, free her from this stone cage. Would that she were free. The north would be a good home for this disìr. She had braved the ice waste and its deadly queen to save his life. If she were my woman, I’d never close her away in a stone tower. She would ride and hunt and hawk and fight at my side, like a young she-wolf. 
He lay panting on top of her. She held him fiercely, still rocking him, back and forth, back and forth. His member was still hard inside her, and she was still taking her pleasure from it. He smiled, but he pulled out of her slit and of her embrace. She moaned in protest.
“You will come on my tongue, honey, not like this. I want to taste you,” he said, low in her ear.
She moaned again, but he turned her on her belly and pulled her to the edge of the bed. 
“Kneel,” he whispered.


You can see a video trailer for Spellbreakers here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2MwKOajga4




WHERE TO BUY




No comments:

Post a Comment